• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 06:24 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Image System Bugs and Suggestions

Started by zourtney, Nov 04, 2009, 03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Help away. I/we can even update the test site to reflect updates to the main site so we can ply with ideas.

zourtney

A slight oversight on my part: we can't create dynamic galleries (ie imagestream with parameters) on images intentionally excluded from the imagestream using that cool little checkbox. This becomes a slight problem when I create computer tutorials with screenshots. I don't want those images showing up in the "random images" box, but I would like to dynamically query (ie "drupal tutorial screenshots").

Solution? Um, we could:

• create a view just like imagestream, but leave out that restriction
  • make imagestream take a boolean flag indicating whether or not it should restrict
  • forget I mentioned it

Nick

Adding a second flag would be easy enough. But then random images from articles would show up with camping and other pics. Making a universal searcher would be ok I guess. One that was just for URL based filtered, but could show any image node on the site.

zourtney

Hmmm...when I think about it, it seems like the proper way to do it to just make one view (they are views, right?). On the page we're calling "imagestream," automatically select the proper option(s), and don't let the user change it. Then, we write another front-end for the "everything gallery." That option can be displayed as a checkbox.

I have no idea how the UI is set up right now, but I think it's weirdo auto-generated stuff, right? I don't see any reason why we can't write an HTML form and pipe our results through that view query. It's doing it somewhere already and shouldn't be terribly hard to duplicate. Maybe I'll look into this when I get a few free moments.

Nick

I found another image uploader thing. Seeing as our current solution has compatibility problems with my favorite browser (The Burning Fox - Also a good tavern name)
Anyway here it is: http://drupal.org/project/imgupload
Allows for resizing and rotating prior to uploading. Still it would be nice to display them rotated at load time based on the exif info.   

zourtney

Cool. I'll have to try it out. Even having the option prior to uploading in an improvement. I have some Shellberg Falls pictures to upload. Maybe I will can to that this weekend.

Nick

I just found that windows 7 has a hidden feature for setting an RSS feed as the source for a desktop slideshow. I propose that we create a randomland theme and a corresponding RSS feed comprised of our best (or least sucky :)) images available.

zourtney

zourtney

Did we ever get the image uploader fixed up? I have so many Shellberg Falls images to upload! And so should you.

Nick

Not that I know of. Just use IE or Chrome or Opera.

zourtney

Oh, ok. I forgot that it was a Firefox related issue.

I installed Opera on my work computer (for compatibility testing). It's a strange browser, but it's snappy. But so is Chrome, for that matter.

zourtney

Um, the "Gallery" link doesn't show up on the main site unless you're logged in. And if you go to it (randomland.net/galleries) when you're not loggged in, you get "access denied".

We should probably fix that.

Nick

Probably. I thought permissions were set so anonymous people could see it but I guess not. 

zourtney

Brad's comment in another thread got me thinking...just thinking. Perhaps we could build a gallery page which aggregates Randomland user photos and Flickr photos. I think they have an API.

Brad

Not sure if somebody already mentioned this... but it would be really awesome if the image gallery could read the exif data and rotate the images properly. Either when displaying, or when uploading. That would be cool.