• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

Sep 22, 2024, 08:37 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Mans! The Forums Is the Dead!

Started by zourtney, Jul 22, 2008, 10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Feb 28, 2011, 12:14 PM #480 Last Edit: Feb 28, 2011, 12:34 PM by Nick
Its as easy as running a script, as far as posts and users are concerned.

I don't know if there was a drupal plugin for it to bridge the users at the time I was playing with it. And the theme didn't import exactly looking like it did. Things were a little off, but useable.

Here is a (volatile) link to the test forums. The soft link in the file system gets broken every time the test site gets redone. Really, I should just make an apache alias for the folder...
http://test.randomland.net/forums/

Edit: Just a moment... upgrading to SMF RC5

zourtney

The system is down! Oh noes!

Nick

Ok. Feel free to have a look now. I think all the users should be there. Its set up with a database copy from today.

I am not sure how to fix the oddities of the theme. But... I am all for getting a new theme.

Nick

Feb 28, 2011, 02:50 PM #483 Last Edit: Feb 28, 2011, 02:53 PM by Nick
Also, installed a new theme.

To see it just set your theme to it on the test forum.

http://test.randomland.net/forums/index.php?action=theme;sa=pick; <- if that link does not work, then its under appearance in the profile settings.

Edit: Oh yeah, its called actualism by the way. I am only slightly happy with its colors... but I like the layout. Colors are easy to change.

Also. The theme that the current one is based off of has an RC5 version available. So just upgrading our current one should be a easy if we wanted.

Opinions?

zourtney

Cool. It works! Should we work on giving it a more spifftastic theme?

Nick

Yeah, I would like to start modificating the actualism theme (or some other if you find one that you have a prefrence for.)

See the edits on my previous post if you don't know what I am talking about :) I never know if people see those when they post so close to the edit time.

zourtney

Hmm, it would seem this app sometimes fails to display edits. Need to bug them a report, I suppose.

Anyway, I'll look at the theme on a real screen when I get home.

Nick

http://test.randomland.net/forums

I played with the forum theme just a little. It still is far from what I would see as 'looking good'

What are peoples thoughts on colors? Blue, green grey like this one? Green, brown, tan? Show me a pallet!

zourtney

Ok. I'm liking the green and brown "earthen" colors lately. I'll try to play with some tonight. Let's maybe discuss this in the Test Site Discussion or somewhere close, lest I lose it!

On a slightly related note, I've been keeping copies of my coding themes. Lots of greens and browns there, too. I think we should slap those somewhere.

zourtney

Man, this forum is comparitively dead today...

Brad

I need a new project. My arcade project is postponed for at least a month or two (or more) due to an unexpectedly early birth. So I don't have anybody to cut my parts out for me.

Will try to wok on my game project, but that is difficult to do with small blocks of time to work on things. Also it doesn't give me anything to think about or plan when I'm not sitting in front of my home computer.

I'm open for ideas.

zourtney

Ok, stupid question, but: what do you gain by waiting to get your wood cut by the CNC machine? (other than proof of plan accuracy and general "that's really freaking cool"-ness)? Is there something that's unreasonably hard to do with your oh-so-20th-century tools?

Lame project ideas:
  • Make Blazer camp-worthy
  • Make something with Kydex (I have a brewing, simple project)
  • Work on RPG (role playing game)
  • Work on RPG (rocket propelled grenade)
  • Make unsucky Randomland themes (mobile and desktop versions)
  • Make videos for internets
  • Fix picture module (yeah, that's likely my responsibility)
  • Make gimpy music!
  • Build a box (they're always handy)
  • Spread the randomnets (randomland's name on social networks)

Well, there you have it. I doubt any of those are particularly interesting.

Brad

The curves of the sides and stuff are something I'm not skilled enough to free-hand with a router. Somebody else might be... but certainly not me. Also the control panel presents a problem as the placement is a bit more precise than I can get with a drill and a hole saw.

I could probably make something arcade cabinet-ish... but it wouldn't really come out "professional" looking... which is sorta what I'm going for.

I am considering making a temporary 2-player control box that could plug into a computer and play if it is going a really long time to get the actual arcade cabinet done. Just made out of scrap materials or something. Dunno if that is a waste of time or not.

zourtney

Making stuff out of wood is never a waste of time! At least, not for me, because I need all the practice I can get. I say go for it.

Brad

Ever have one of those moments when programming where you feel like a complete moron?

I just did. Been working on the Flash client for my RPG game, trying to fix a bug where the wrong map is loaded when leaving the first map. It always loaded the first (ID #0) map, no matter what I did.... It even told me that the I was loading the correct map (ID #1) but on the screen it still showed the first map! Really frustrating and spent a bunch of time trying to figure it out and track where the bug was.

Turns out that when I changed grid size from 20x20 to 15x15 I fixed the first map data and then copy and pasted it over all the other map data to make them the right size. I forgot to go back and make the maps all different again... So in reality the program was working the entire time and loading the correct map but all the maps were exactly the same!!!!

So yeah, that was a waste of a few hours.