• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

Sep 22, 2024, 10:31 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Mans! The Forums Is the Dead!

Started by zourtney, Jul 22, 2008, 10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

Nick

Yeah, Dude. We should. Saturday? Fire in the rain? Something?

Brad

I noticed Randomland was done most of the day. Server problems?

Nick

Terry noticed too :)

The dumb ddclient program didn't update the DNS again. Luckaly I had set up the gateway router to have its own little DNS so I could SSH-leapfrog to the server and restart the offending service.

I think I will be upgrading the server to Scientific Linux 6 soon. Its Red Hat 6, but without the red hat. And since CentOS seems to be in slight dissaray as of late (didn't their head dude get arrested or something?) I figured it would be a better bet to go with SC-Linux then waiting for CentOS to roll around. Its either that or Fedora XX. But I think the somewhat stable RedHat 6 would be a better way to go. Unless we need cutting edge everything.   

Anyway, that was all just to say that hopefully having a newer version of ddclient will help (almost silly to change the whole OS to get one program updated.... but that's the fun of linux! And I don't like trying to sole 1000 dependencies for the couple of packages that I would prefer to be newer (like the nicer GIT client has major bugs on CentOS 5.5 and cant be upgraded without a huge headache.)

Anyway. Yeah. Poots and happy birthday to Zourtney, if that is your real birthday...

zourtney

Terry noticed?! I haven't heard from him in ages.

Anyway, I noticed too. When I went to fill up with gas, my 'gas' subdomain was unavailable. It only took me one slice of garlic bread to realize the other subdomains' IP addresses had changed, but that one had not. I moved it up the list, now right below 'test' after fixing it. All is better (for now).

Nick

Is it in the ddclient config file? They all need to be updated individually, unfortunately.

If its not in there, I would be happy to add it. Though I sure you could figure it out easily enough.

Terry only noticed because his site is also hosted on the server :P

zourtney

That must have been what the mysterious entries were! I only updated it on ZoneEdit's site, so I think that's a "no". How often does the IP change?

Nick

Occasionally.

Mysterious entries? Into what?

zourtney

Um, nevermind. I have no idea what I'm talking about. The only thing I don't recognize, if fact, it google._domainkey.

Nick

That's for the google apps thing.

zourtney

Yeah, I figured as much. I guess I shouldn't write stuff when I have no idea what I'm talking about. Or can't even properly remember what I was thinking  ???

Nick

But it keeps things interesting!

zourtney

Keeps me on the cusp of 2,000 posts, at least

Nick

May 13, 2011, 10:59 AM #538 Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 11:57 AM by Nick
I have seen people with more posts who were only members of the respective forums for about 4 1/2 months! Crazyness.

zourtney

And I've been at this for years. I am so inadequate.