• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

Sep 22, 2024, 10:21 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Mans! The Forums Is the Dead!

Started by zourtney, Jul 22, 2008, 10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

May 29, 2012, 09:32 AM #690 Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 09:35 AM by Nick
Nazis!... At the Center of the Earth?

I saw a horrible looking movie at a RedBox yesterday and I am tempted to watch it out of some strange curiosity. I feel a need to see how bad it could possibly be, or how awesome.

Zombies, Nazis and a steam-punk Hitler. Need I say more?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2130142/
Read the reviews for more fun. People are either crazy about it or repulsed by it.

zourtney

Oh my goodness. I read the IMDB plot summary and am....at a loss for words. I do have a soft spot for that steampunk Nazi setting, though. (Perhaps the primary reason I like that Captain America movie??)

Nick

We should have a viewing-party when you are back within a few hundred miles (or few thousand) and see just how atrocious it is.

Also, [blink]Blink![/blink] [dot]Dotted underline[/dot] and [spoiler]Dont look![/spoiler]

zourtney

Wow, when I look at these "spoiler" posts on a real computer (instead of a forum app on a phone), it actually hides the spoiler! This all makes a lot more sense now.  :P

Cody

I appear to have lost a great deal of my pictures, somehow. There are no gaps in the folder dates, but certain pictures simply don't exist. For example...all the pictures from our Tenting on the Ten Ten are gone. Does anyone have any backups of my pictures?
"Stop whining. Before you really get me irritated."
   --Boba Fett

Nick

Yowzers. That sucks. I'll take a look. I grabbed a bunch of Zourts a while back and some of yours might have been in there too.

How big a drive would we need to store a backup of everyone's collection? I'll take a survey of mine when  I get home. It would be coon (if impractically slow) to have a online backup for anyone who wants to use it. Randomland has 500gb at the moment, though should be enough for two or three people :)

Right now I think you have unlimited photo storage if you upload them all via google+. Or maybe that's only with their mobile app...

Cody

Well my picture folder is currently sitting at right about 37 gigs. I don't have Court's pics from the last two years actually, but his folder is about 64 gigs for me. Granted I am sure it has increased in size greatly in the last two years. And actually I have none of your pictures, Nick.

I looked at the prices of external hard drives on Newegg and you can get 500GB for $90 or 1-2TB for $120 ish. Hard to say. I can't imagine we would need more than 500GB for quite some time.
   --Boba Fett

Nick

Now is not the time to be harddrive pricing. The prices have recovered some from the hurricanes, but not completely. You should be able to get a 2tb for $100 when things even back out.

Cody

On a completely unrelated note, we should do this. Why? Simply because it is possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHJOz_y9rZE
   --Boba Fett

Brad

Nick

Haha. I like it. They need to get an adurino or something hooked to a computer to translate MP3s into signals for the floppy drives.

Cody

I actually found a tutorial video, and that is exactly what they did. The floppy drives are hooked up to an adurino, and using some software it will play any midi file you want. Granted certain midi files will work better than others. I don't know how it would work with mp3s though...since the adurino assigns certain midi channels to certain drives and that wouldn't work with an mp3. But I don't really know about this stuff.
   --Boba Fett

Nick

I suppose the MIDI notes and just frequencies to be played, MP3 have multiple frequencies all being played at the same time. Probably won't work well with the limited fidelity of the floppy drive :) It might be fun to try and turn it into a strange speaker though. I have a cheap adurino that I got recently and a floppy drive. Wonder if they posted their source...

Cody

You will probably get more out of this than me... He did talk about lots of software stuff I didn't get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6tuMn5sPyM

That is the tutorial. Sadly, I must admit that I am playing with floppy drives at the moment. Mostly got it working. Just don't have the board.
   --Boba Fett

zourtney

Jun 13, 2012, 07:43 PM #704 Last Edit: Jun 13, 2012, 07:48 PM by zourtney
http://youtu.be/EQfa118c1Js  :D

Eat that, Darth Vader! I'm seeing rainbows in my eyes

(edit: this one is fun to watch because you can see the moving parts well)