• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

Sep 23, 2024, 12:21 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Mans! The Forums Is the Dead!

Started by zourtney, Jul 22, 2008, 10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

Do you use the web browser for these here forums, or do you use a forum app (Tapatalk, etc)?

Brad

I just use the regular browser because I am too cheap to buy any android apps like tapatalk.

zourtney

Cody

"Stop whining. Before you really get me irritated."
   --Boba Fett

Nick

zourtney

How's the fall falling in your parts? Today it was cooler outside than inside, here. Both in the morning AND the evening!...but not much of the time in between. A few leaves have given up clinging to their branches, but many others simply don't see the point. (I'm trying to figure what the climatic catalyst is down here...lower humidity?...weather less than 80 deg??)

Yeppers. We should all post some pictures!

Nick

I just got back from the beach and can share a few or the those pictures. It was rather rainy there but fun still.

In the last week or two the trees around here have really started to show the season. Pinks and reds are starting to mix in with the greens. Piles of crunchy, discarded leaves. Nuts falling everywhere. The chestnut carnage alone is startling. And brisk,  brisk mornings.

Cody

Indeed. In the last few days our trees have decided they want to start dropping all their leaves. At least one of our trees is already almost bare. I have actually found that the afternoons seem rather warm the last couple of days though.
   --Boba Fett

Nick

I was downloading Service Pack 3 for a computer I am setting up at work and realized it was downloading the file just about as fast as I could toss 1.44MB floppy disks. Just something to think about.

zourtney

Man, that certainly is something to think about! I mean, what is "tossing floppy disks"? Metaphorical? Hyperbolic? ...Allegorical? Similical? ...uh, superbowl?

Downloading SP3 is unquestionably an exercise in a finite data transfer from one digital source to another. By contrast, "tossing a floppy" has no implied start point or end point and no meaningful transfer of data occurs. Thus, this term seems elaborate on details oft-overlooked details of the data-transfer story, albeit in a rather jovial manner. One is left to assume that this incongruence was intentional, meant to engage the mind by finding deeper meaning by attempting by map largely-conceptual ideas to a very physical, human-to-plastic interaction.

So I pondered it. For seconds even. Quickly I determined that a literal interpretation is by far the most humorous. Literature profs be d'rned. So I hastily pursued this route. And lo! several mental images sprung forth.

The best? Nick holding two palms full of 1.44mB floppies over that old, big opening at work upstairs, and "Hadookin'ing" them to the foyer below. Best data transfer ever.

Cody

Personally I just assumed it was a figure of speech. That was all the thought I put into it, really.
   --Boba Fett

Nick

Personally I just envisioned pulling the disks one at a time off a stack,  each disk contains 1.44 MB of SP3, and tossing them through my office door. I think I like Zourt's better.

zourtney

Word. As they say. (no one I know says that, for the record)

Do you still have Windows 95 on floppy disks sitting around? That was quite the prize.

Brad

Even if you did have Windows 95 floppies laying around would they even work anymore? I think those things only have like a 10-15 year shelf life.

Nick

No,  I don't think I do. I only have so much room to store useless relics. And like Brad said,  they would be extra useless as they would be corrupt (and not any kind of cool corrupt,  like evil windows or anything) I think they got sold at a garage sale a few years ago.

Anyone have Halloween-ish plans yet?