• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 02:20 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

S-10 Blazer

Started by Nick, Dec 03, 2009, 09:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

:) Yes, "oh internet...!" I was going to sneakily link every letter of that phrase to a wide range of topics of interest I have...but instead I got sucked into reading some comments on a nonsense blog. So...forget that idea.

BUT, the Blazerin' idea I do like. Very much. I will have lots of "free" time on Sunday (which I just now remembered to be the 4th) and Monday. I'm gettin' itchy. Can't stay    out   of woodds      umuuuch     loonggerrrner!

Let's go! (soon)

Nick

I vacuumed it today. And sprayed mold killer. And sprayed f'breeze all over in it. Now its mostly cleaner and smells better. Time to get it dirty again!   

zourtney

Blazer, blazer camp-camp

Nick

Blazer, blazer... CAMP CAMP CAMP!

She seems to be running good. I added some tranny fluid as that's all that was low. But the radiator.... and the windows... ugh. Oh and the paint. Know of any insanely cheep metal primer

zourtney

Insanely cheap? No...but I did see that bed liner rubber paint in a can :) I'm guessing you need something relatively high-temp, though.

Nick

I'm not painting the engine, just the hood and some body panels. I think I will go get some of that 'rusty metal primer' today and then do some sanding and painting. I will only do the hood for now to see how it turns out.  Want to paint some metal? Got that safe painted yet?

zourtney

I'll try to update my safe thread in a bit. It'll require more sanding, but a side of two of it is painted.

I figured you were just painting the hood and stuff, but I was thinking you said the paint had peeled off. Maybe it was bad paint and weather, not heat? Anyway, if you want to do stuff, I don't think I have much going on Sunday. What's our camp status?

Nick

I am a go for next weekend but not thins weekend I don't think.

The stuff on the hood never covered very well. There were already lots of cracks and then the rust. The cheap spray paint never had a chance. This time I am using a sanding wheel on the angle grinder and removing all the cracked paint and rust. I might even just do the whole hood, I have got 1/3 of it done already. But I need a new sanding disk now (I was using one that we once used on Francine :)) Then I will use the "rusty metal" primer and the matte hunter green spray paint I got. Painting it green one panel at a time...

Nick

What color should the blazer be painted? I got some matte hunter green, but its a little too bright for my taste. I was thinking maybe a olive matte or olive drab. Or just leaving it black is an option. Or dark gray. Ideas?

zourtney

Given the opportunity, how could we not try our hand at camo? I believe every man should pai t something camo at least once in his life. What are we waiting for? :)

Edit, for clarification: yes to drab greens, and possibly browns.

Nick

I was considering that. That's part of the reason I wanted to go with the olive drab as a base. It could be a good start to a nice camo job. I had hopped the hunter matte would work as well, but alas. I will just have to use it to repaint the fire pit tables instead. They do need it, after all.

Of then. Drab olive it will be. I am still only painting the hood for now as it had the most rust. I hope to not be needing to remove all the paint already on the blazer to re paint it. Just give it all a light sanding and then a coat of primer and then color(s).

Should we use leaf/branch stencils (ala real tree camo?) I think painting the lower section to look a little like tall grass might work too.

zourtney

Yeah, I was thinking we could cut some stencils of leaves, ferns, and the like. I'm not sure the best way to make a stencil (which can be used more than twice a day), but I was thinking that it'd be easy to etch something out of any flat, plastic surface you could find. Like old laundry soap containers, milk jugs, etc.

Nick

I think they sell thin sheets of plastic made for making stencils. It might be easier to work with then the plastic from various, oddly shaped, containers one might find. But either way it sounds fun and at the same time like a bad idea. But all the more fun for it. :) 

zourtney

Yeah, surely you could find some nice stencil-worthy sheets of semi-rigid plastic at craft stores. And and that would probably be the best idea. I was just thinking in "how cab we use random junk laying around the house" mode. For what ever reason.

Either way: let's do it!

Nick

Random junk is cheaper. And the part of me that hates to spend money likes that. But I doubt the stencil making sheets cost e very much.