• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 27, 2024, 06:02 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

S-10 Blazer

Started by Nick, Dec 03, 2009, 09:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Aug 01, 2011, 09:24 AM #45 Last Edit: Aug 01, 2011, 09:26 AM by Nick
The blazer now requires a key to start.

Replacing the old ignition lock really wasn't too hard. And the new one turns as though it were hot bolt twisting through warm butter - Velvety and smooth.

Changing the ignition lock did not fix the starter issue, however. So I guess its the starting solenoid that is getting stuck/making bad contact. Lucky I have a spare setting about someplace.

Also, I got a replacement dash panel that houses the headlight switch and dimmer. So no more slapping the dash fifteen times to get the lights to stay on!

And I washed it.

zourtney

I was going to write some asinine, jesting statements about keys and stuff. But no. Instead: cool. It's like the Blazer is getting less sucky!

Nick

Yes! Less sucky is my goal.

I tried to install the new headlight switch cluster thing, but it is colliding with the cool switch that I added. (Y'know that big red toggle?) So I guess I will use a little but of sheet metal and patch the side of the dash where the switch is now and move it a little. That will be some doing as I suck at cutting metal. I need a plasma cutter.

Anyway. Tonight I am going to be trying to take off the starter and repair it with parts from the donor blazer. Anyone want to join me?

Wow... I seem to be writing posts and then never submitting them. This was from two days ago.

zourtney

Perhapsibly. I first need to snatch up some crickets.

zourtney

Yos. I have some free time Wednesday evening if you want to bust a Blazer. Or fix one (which is more productive, but less alliteratively appealing)

Nick

Anyone up for more blazer work today or tomorrow?

zourtney

Today could work for me. Should we go for another bolt or two?

Nick

Sure! The internet says we are doing it right, even. Take a few more bolts out and then slide the support bar forward and then take the two bolts out of the starter and bam.

Also, my new radio should be here today. So I think I will install that in the Pontiac. Hopefully wont take too long for that.  :D

Nick

Sadly, no more bolts got removed. Though a radio did get installed! Its teeth are blue and it answers my phone calls!

Attempt three on blazer bolting? I will try to do something to it either way tonight.

zourtney

Oh dear, that was days ago. I should have some free time a night or two this week, though.

Nick

I did some work on it on Saturday.  I got more bolts out! Now the cross member is off and the starter is off. It will be all kinds of fun getting it all back on :)  .

zourtney

Cool. I like all kinds of fun. Let me know if you want some greasy company some time.

Also, your engine hoist is free, whenever you want it back. I can drive it over or something (not in my car, obviously)

Nick

Cool. You get the new engine in already? That was fast! But double cool for the running of the fours!

I found the wing-nut for the air-filter-housing down in the guts of the engine. It was setting on a cross member with a tiny little lip on it. Who knows how many bumpy dirt roads and gravel pits it has hung on for while hiding down there.

Tonight or tomorrow works for blazer fun time!!!!111
I should also get some new tubes for the 4WD vacuum system. If I am going to be under the thing, might as well fix that too. I might even wrap them in aluminum foil or something this time. That braided sheath just didn't cut it.

Cody

Oh right...sorry, I kept meaning to tell you that we were done with the hoist but everyone seemed rather undecided as to whether or not we were going to pull out several more engines that need rebuilding. Somehow I doubt that will be happening anytime soon though. So yeah we can get that back to you whenever.
"Stop whining. Before you really get me irritated."
   --Boba Fett

Brad

Last time I borrowed Nick's engine hoist I kept it for a couple years... You guys are doing really good comparatively.