• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 11:44 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

I need a project.

Started by Nick, Nov 19, 2009, 10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad

Good idea, but I don't think it's safe to assume that users will only loan things to other users.

So I don't think we should use userid, you're gonna need to let them type in a name.

zourtney

True, there is a difference between the end-user and the person loaned from/borrowed to.

I always [over] worry about data normalization. I mean, what if you type "nick" instead of "Nick", "zourtney" instead of "Courtney"? I guess it's up to the end-user to keep it consistent, regardless of whether you're selecting from a list of existing users of just free-typing it in.

But I would most definitely want a mode where I say, "give me everything borrow from or loaned to Eve's Dad."

Brad

You could make all searches case insensitive and use like instead of equals. That'd make it easy enough.

Or every time they enter a person they've loaned something to or borrowed something from add it to the database. Then when they go to search (or borrow/loan something) you could give them a drop-down list of all the people that are in the database.

That's the best I can think of for data normalization.

Nick

Did you ever create a proposed database layout or should I give it a whack?

zourtney

I say, "Go for it." I'm sure that both Brad and I can provide criticism (though it may be given in jest a not pertain to the task at hand).

Nick

zourtney

Did you ever work on this or did apathy and other projects win out?

Nick

20% apathy, 16% race fever, 54% other projects, plus life in general.

zourtney

The following project timetable data has been extrapolated based on recent posts and known calendar events. Please update the table, adding a new row to reflect the current values for this, the week of 27 Dec 2009.

Date                 Apathy    Race Fever    Other Projects    Life
21 Nov 20099%*10%*47%*34%*
28 Nov 200918%*12%*54%*16%*
05 Dec 200920%16%54%10% (inferred from adjacent statistical data from this post)

* projected values based on previous conversions and known calendar events

zourtney

With Brad working on his C++ during lunch times at work, I've been getting that cplusta urge. Little nuggets of knowledge, such as "duh, you need a semicolon at the end of your class definition" are coming back and I like it. I still know C++, but am way out of practice.

I'd like to make a programming project which utilizes C++ because I don't want to lose it. But, on the other hand, it's foolish to pick a technology before you pick a project. I've learned at least that much along the way.

Nick

The movie database thing doesn't lend itself well to C++. Though I am sure we can find something you/we could make. I have been making things for myself to do (mostly useless but interesting) and having physical projects (see sheetrock) given to me so I haven't done much of the database stuff other then think about it so far. That means I am open to other options if you have suggestions. 

zourtney

The meDBia project would be very entirely useful. I want it! Talk of it kind of fizzled out. I suppose because we all have lots of other things to be working on.

You're definitely right, though, C++ isn't "the right hammer" for that job. I still am torn between a client/server vs a standalone setup. Both have their advantages. I like web-based client/server because of portability. The thought of whipping out my mobile internets and checking what I see on the store's shelf against my personal collection is enticing...though probably so rarely useful that the simplicity of a standalone app tied to an embedded DB makes logical sense. I mean, do I really need an entire web server running just to see what movies I have cataloged? Then there's the privacy advantage of a standalone system...not that I have any book/movie/etc I wouldn't share...it's just the principle of the matter.

Anyway, that's in no way helpful to anyone, but I'll put it on our randomnet annyway.