• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 12:45 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Design and Layout Suggestions

Started by zourtney, May 19, 2008, 07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

Yeah, it's good for laying out simple ideas (like attached). I've been using it at work, and I like it.

As for the other thing, I don't know if we'd need it or not. I've only played with it a tiny bit, but it's easy to set up usable layouts (which also work well for mobile) and has a lot of handy components (alert sections, comboboxes, etc). Don't know if it'd help or hurt what Drupal already has.

Anyway, picture. Just a simple layout with a sticky navbar and a sticky right annoyinsharebar. Then use a grid layout for the promoted links. We could put an image and teaser text in with them too. Or be a little interactive, even.

zourtney

Ok, I got drup7.randomland.net running the latest build, plus a bare-bones image/gallery content-type setup. Galleries have no smarts yet (that'll take code). kgoodnightbye

zourtney

That tired old idea of merging Randomland-proper's content into the forum has been rattling around my head again lately. Most of it is for want of consolidated content. And, except for images, there's very little content to actually port over.

[obnoxious comments redacted]

What do you all think? Yea? Nay? Go eat hay?

And hey: is the SMF database getting backed up regularly? Because it really should. I could probably get one of my ARMslaves to pull a copy every week or so too, for automated offsite backups.

Nick

There is a cron job...

I am cool consolidating everything. I am also cool playing with sevens more. All depends on what we want to do with the site.

zourtney

Aug 18, 2013, 09:09 PM #319 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2013, 09:43 PM by zourtney
That was quick. And yeah, I don't really know what I want to do with the main site. Randomland has always just been a dumping ground for silly adventures and the like. If there were some way to lay it out so our classic stories stuck out like a sore thumb (ie landing pages of sorts), but was still all hosted within some forum software, that might be ideal.

I don't know... just kicking around ideas.

EDIT: these might be of interest: Custom Pages and Pages Mod

Nick

Sadly all the stuff that Brad and I wrote here recently is lost forever. But....

There is not a default wordpress site up at test.randomland.net and it's all ready for some customizing. What should the layout style be? Separate blogs per user? No plogs and just dedicated project pages (a blog per project, I like this, but it could get crowded in a menu) What kind of landing page?

Does anyone have a site they have in mind as a model? Personally I like the Dwarf Fortress site for an example of a sigle 'project'. 

I don't think I know how to wprdpress very well, as I am running up against the old problem of separating content and not having everything end up as just a big list of posts. But something like this might work for seperating everything. Display posts based on 'category' tags (that kinda what we did in drupal)

Brad

I don't actually have a problem with the landing page being just a giant list of posts (obviously only showing a few posts per page) so long as everything is neatly chopped up into categories/projects in the sidebar.

Using a combination of static pages and tags we should be able to reach some kind of setup that isn't a total and complete mess. Not sure we have enough content to really warrant multiple separate blogs. The last post on our current site is from March 2012.

If we ever have a project with 1/10 of the scope of Dwarf Fortress we should really build its own site. Huge projects may never fit well in blog type format. But some of the things we do a lot of (or at least could do a lot of) dev/project logs would work really well. Following a project from conception through building and to a post-mortem wrap up. Or at least some examples of nifty things you figured out along the way. That is my vision anyway.

For larger/more permanent type projects way may need to utilize static pages which we can link to from the sidebar. This will stop them getting lost in the sands of time (i.e. our mostly useless jabbering posts). If necessary you can make static pages for each category with links to notable projects (and their own static pages if required).

This sort of thing doesn't really seem like a wordpress only type issue but really more of general CMS issue.

Do we have logins for the wordpress? I tried "admin" and our standard password but that isn't working.

Nick

Sorry about that. You have accounts now.