• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 24, 2024, 04:03 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Racing Simulators

Started by zourtney, Nov 24, 2009, 10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

Nick and I were recently talking about our favorite racing simulator games, both old and new. It is true that the only reason I ever bought a "PSone" was so I that I could play the original two Gran Turismo games. While the driving physics were great, those games are showing their age...they're over a decade old!

This past year, I stumbled across the Forza racing series for the Xbox. It is quite good and is probably on par with the GT series, though I haven't extensively played anything newer that GT2. The driving physics feel almost identical to that of Gran Turismo, and real life for that matter. I have only tried the career mode and it is sufficiently challenging -- something GT2 lacked.

Racing simulators are by far my favorite type of video game. It appears they have come out with a 3rd edition of my Forza Racing game. I might have to check that out!

Nick

We should get together and compare them :)
GT3 is just as easy to rack up loads of money at GT2, but GT4 is much harder. Giving you opponents with better cars then you can afford early on. But eventually you will win a few races and get a few prize cars and then you will buy a 12,000 turbo and start wasting people.... then you move on to the professional events. Then your car seems to suck again. There are several racing types that you cant enter without completing a certain percentage of the game or sets of races (such as having to complete the beginner races and the pro. races to get to the extreme races.)

I would defiantly like to try your fizzy racer though. If only to see how they compare. 

zourtney

Come on over :) I should try your GT4 too.

One thing I have noticed about my game is that it you can race people that are waaaay slower than you. So, while it is much easier to find fast, challenging competition, it still lets you pit your Class A twin turbo NSX against Class C stock Jettas. This is nice for earning a little cash, but not very realistic -- everyone would hate a jerk who is not even racing the same class of car.

Nick

Sounds like they need to enforce some horsepower restrictions. You can do the same thing in all the GT games. I raced my 300hp lotus against stock imprezas and the like. But GT4 likes to throw in more of the higher end cars. Plus the low end races pay almost nothing compared to the higher ones. 

zourtney

One car I found that is fun is the Sport Clio V6. It's Euro, I think and all wheel drive. It gets pretty squirrely when you upgrade the engine, but it's fun to drive in the game. I don't I've ever seen one on the streets. It's a shame too because it's nice and short but quite powerful.

Nick

There is one of those is GT4 I think. People on the GT4 forums were talking about it being the best car to do the compact cup with. Well one of the best. No one can ever agree on what car is hands down, without question the best.

zourtney

Oh! I think that thing is mid-engine too..!

Nick

You should come race! Or I should go over there! Just name a night.

zourtney

Thursday!

There, I named one. I only name it because I know it will not work out for either of us. I don't have a good suggestion...maybe a weekend day?

Nick

Saturday! Especially if its raining.

zourtney

The forecast actually says it won't be rainy. Go figure.

zourtney

Nov 27, 2009, 09:26 PM #11 Last Edit: Nov 27, 2009, 10:05 PM by zourtney
Ah man, are you serious?? Sooooooo enticing. I'm not much for video games but racing sims have a special place in my...uh fingers. Those graphics look very impressive for a 3-4 year old system...or however old the Xbox 360 is.
Forza 3 (Newegg)

Time to race :)

Nick

That looks so shiny and nice. Almost photo realistic in some of those pictures.  Perhaps some racing too along with Saturday biking? 

zourtney

How's your race-fever doing? I haven't played lately...

Nick

Me either. I got rather busy with the holidays. Then I was putting in more insulation and sheet rock. Then muddling the  sheet rock. Now I have to go get foods and fix the suburban. Sadly, no racing.