• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 11:38 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

The Best (and worst) of the Internet

Started by zourtney, Nov 24, 2009, 02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cody

"Stop whining. Before you really get me irritated."
   --Boba Fett

zourtney

I was really hoping to find something a little more...well, a little more like THIS! You know, a jaw-dropping barrage of foam projectiles.

But alas, Nerf gun the mechanics would never hold up. You'd probably just be standing in a puddle of molten plastic. Still, I thought it was pretty cool.

Nick

It would still be rather cool if you started melting the nerf gun you were shooting so fast.

zourtney

Ok, maybe it's just me, but I find this fascinating. It's a dialectic survey across the continental United States.

It highlights some of the finer nuances of spoken English ("gramma" vs "grandma") along with some easier ones ("coo-pon" vs "cyoo-pon"). And it's interesting how intensely regional a few terms are (see "New Haven").

It also has, hands down, the best y'all-map I've found. I attached a few favorites. Do enjoy -- I've spend hours looking at this  :P

http://spark.rstudio.com/jkatz/SurveyMaps/

Nick

zourtney

Ok, that's cool. And inspiring! I want to do more awesome things like that. I need to be less lame...

Nick

Cody

That is somewhat mesmerizing...and awesome.

Also I found this comment in a guy's review of a video game somewhat humorous. "I personally think the sound of the gun is too loud with the first person camera."

I don't know if he has ever shot a real gun, but they are pretty freaking loud. I don't exactly expect to hear the birds singing while I shoot my machine gun.
   --Boba Fett

Brad

Feb 21, 2014, 12:55 PM #68 Last Edit: Feb 21, 2014, 12:58 PM by Brad
Has anyone seen Twitch Plays Pokemon yet? It's thousands of people attempting to play a pokemon game through IRC chat all at once. Everyone is attempting to control the same character. It's kind of entertaining in an chaotic way.

Right now it's being played by more than 72,000 people.

Nick

So that's what that is. I kept hearing references to it, but I thought twitch was some dudes handle. I will check it out. Sounds absurd :)

Cody

Play your favorite YouTube video. While it is playing, click on some blank area of the page and hit the keys 1980. I was most amused. Perhaps a little too amused.
   --Boba Fett

Nick