• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 02:19 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Soldering Gun

Started by zourtney, Dec 10, 2009, 10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

I got a nice looking soldering gun as an early Christmas present yesterday. It came from the [Home] Depot. Perhaps I'll add some Randomland commentary on it once I use it. there are a few wires that I need to solder or wire-nut together for Eve's stereo harness. I figured soldering would be better...and it was a good excuse to get another tool that should last for years. Besides, my $2.99 Harbor Freight (or was it Fry's?) soldering iron seems to have bitten the dust.

It is this, Weller Soldering Gun, I believe. It feels very nice and solid. We'll see how it holds up to use! And cool, the reviews look positive now that I find it on the interwebs.

Nick

Fancy! Definetly let us know how it works. My radioshack soldering iron takes forever to heat up and can't seem to keep itself hot enough for much use without taking a short break to heat back up. That's probably because it was one on the less expensive ones available (low wattage or something.)

But cool!

Cody

I broke into mom's Christmas present pile and stole the soldering gun today since my speaker is freaking out again. I only used it a little bit really but in my opinion it worked very well. Don't know what all to say about it really...you pull the trigger, the little light turns on, and the end gets really hot really fast. That's that I suppose.
"Stop whining. Before you really get me irritated."
   --Boba Fett

zourtney

Cody, Cody. Digging into the stash of presents?? Tsk, tsk! I'm going to try it out too, probably tonight or tomorrow. So, it heated up fast compared to my $1.99 soldering iron?  :)

Nick

Sounds nice (and high powered) mine, like I said, is slow and loses its heat easily. Probably a much better option then anything that was $1.99 new :)

zourtney

I don't remember the exact price, but it was under $5. It was one of those "Sure, I've been needing one of these and it's cheap" purchases. It's probably even repairable, but sadly, not really worth the effort. Disposable.  :(

Nick

That's what china makes. Disposable goods. Even if its something that shouldn't be trashed after a few uses, like a soldering iron. Mine was $9.99 I think and has provided several years of less then desirable performance, but it still works. "You get what you pay for" is something I am coming to realize. More and more I am finding it better to purchase quality products used then to buy a cheap new item. Better to buy a used BMW for $3000-$4200 then a new Kia for $5000 :) Or a blazer for $400. Hopefully your new soldering tool will be like a new 3-series or perhaps a trusty Toyota.

Sorry, Christmas puts me in a anti-consumerism type of mood. But at the same time I find myself trying to find gifts for people. And I am off topic a little :)

Cody

Quote from: zourtney on Dec 11, 2009, 08:15 AM
So, it heated up fast compared to my $1.99 soldering iron?  :)

Ha ha yeah that's one way of saying it. Cold and right out of the package it only took a few seconds to start melting the solder once I pulled the trigger. Definitely much much faster than your "Give it 5 minutes and it might be hot enough to do something if you're luck" soldering iron.  :D
"Stop whining. Before you really get me irritated."
   --Boba Fett