• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 02:12 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Messin' with the Modelin'

Started by Cody, Feb 20, 2010, 02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cody

So you really need a something better than arts and crafts to put this in...but I couldn't find one so I am putting it here. I spent a few too many hours in front of the computer messing around and managed to come up with this surprisingly accurate nalgene bottle replica. So yep, here it is.

http://randomland.net/sites/default/files/imagecache/1024px_wide/Jacsveus/images/NalgeneBottle.jpg
"Stop whining. Before you really get me irritated."
   --Boba Fett

zourtney

Haha nice. I should play with that stuff, but probably won't get around to it any time soon. We did have a thread or two about 3D modeling. They got shuffled around and are now under the "Hardware and Software" board...which isn't the best place for it either.

But yeah, keep it the models. It's cool.

Nick

Nice. Now you just need a computer controlled milling machine and a block of aluminum! What was it that you used to create the model?

Cody

I used Lightwave. And looking at it...it looks a little out of proportion and the lid looks too big. Funny thing is it's the exact size of mine. I guess that is just due to poor camera angle and or the texturing. Though I suppose it doesn't matter too much.
   --Boba Fett

Cody

Just to double post...I made this yesterday but your image uploading thing was being annoying and not working so I put it on Photobucket. I decided to try and make a model of my Ka-Bar and it actually turned out nice too. Amazing...

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q195/jacsveus/Kabar001.jpg
   --Boba Fett

Nick

Sorry the image thing wasn't working. What did it do exactly?

Nice knife. I rather like the look of the handle. What are you going to do with all these models? Perhaps you should model something, and then make it? Just an idea... Make a model of a knife hilt and then make it (like with your cool wooden sword.) Then get a blade to stick in it. Plus all the in between steps that I don't know about :)

I might have to play with that program a little bit. Make me self a blazer model maybe. Or an RC car+linksys router model for my little project....

Cody

The image thing gave me error 550 or something and just said it failed.

As for what I am doing with the models, I don't really know. I just figured it would be fun to mess around a bit and see what all I could do. Most of the things that I have been making I already have as that makes a great thing to base the model off of but trying to make a nice knife handle might be kind of fun. Though the blade part might be a bit tricky to come up with. Who knows though. We'll see how it goes if I keep poking at the program...
   --Boba Fett

zourtney

You should make more household items and them drop with in random stops in your Fallout level (or whatever platform seems fitting). Make lots of pencils, pen holders, candle holders. Stuff like that....oh crap, I just told you to become a highly technical interior designer.  :-\  Well, it could be worse.

Nick