• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 09:18 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

I suck at drawing

Started by Brad, Apr 06, 2010, 09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad

So I've been practicing actual pencil & paper drawing so that I can become better at drawing in general and especially at creating new characters and drawing existing characters in different poses I don't have a picture of. I can draw anything I'm looking at pretty well using a computer, but doing something like drawing a character with their arms and hands in a different position, or carrying a different weapon ends up looking terrible. Which is why I'm practicing drawing basics.

I've come to the conclusion that I am completely incapable of drawing a decent looking circle. It seems ridiculously simple, but NONE of my circles ever come out looking circle-ish they always end up as funky ellipses with slightly smushed sides. For something that is laughably easy using a computer, it sure seems to screw up my hand drawings. Every stupid thing I try to draw seems to be made up entirely of various sizes of circles and ellipses. Also none of my eyes seem to come out right, I think it's because they are either circles and ellipses and those hate me.

I'll think about scanning or photographing some of the stuff I've drawn to give you guys something to laugh about.

Nick

zourtney

Maybe you just need to learn some little trick to be able to draw them better. Like dotting 4 points of the circle, or something, since I find arcs < 90 deg a lot easier. I know that I am incapable of drawing horizontal lines. And that the solution to that is the turn the paper 90 degrees.

But then again, I haven't drawn in a really long time. Still...

Brad

Ok... here are some of the things I've been drawing lately. None of it is very cool. I'm not really sure why I'm bothering to upload them. I guess because I said I would. Anyway, these are just some random sketches I've drawn. Hopefully I'll get better at some point.

Feel free to mock/criticize them.

Brad

Due to the overwhelming response I've received I've decided to post a crappy drawing of a giant.

zourtney

Actually, those are really, really awesome. Did you make up the characters, or do I just not recognize them? Either way, good job.

I'd say you once were just an amateur, but now you're going pro!

Nick

I still like the grumpy goat best :)

zourtney

I second the grumpgoat opinion.