• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 03:44 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

[I suck at] Making Music

Started by zourtney, Sep 17, 2009, 02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

Brad

Post the results, regardless of quality!

zourtney

I tried, but got an error about having a blank post.  ???

Seriously though, I haven't done anything in a long time. There was this thing I did like a year ago. It was alright. I tried adding guitar and hated it. I'm going to try again though!

zourtney

Well, it's almost an entire year later...and I've been playing with stuff again. This time using mostly GarageBand on the Mac and iPad. I'll post some embarrassing tunes sometime.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Nick

I look forward to it :) Inspired by the retro game music you mentioned the other day?

zourtney

Jan 10, 2012, 12:40 PM #50 Last Edit: Jan 10, 2012, 12:50 PM by zourtney
Yes, inspired. But no, that's not what started it. I haven't actually found how to simulate those type of sounds in GarageBand without a MIDI keyboard. There's probably a way. And I can always can always fall back to FruityLoops/LMMS for that.

What I have now is more of a symphonic mess. Strings, piano, a bit of (simulated) clean guitar, and some flutery. It's just what came out. Who knows what I'll get next time!

Nick

Could you use a virtual midi keyboard?

Want a sound card with midi inputs and a nifty front panel?

zourtney

That could be a fun addition to my desktop. Not using it?

Nick

Nope. Its an older sound blaster card that I used to use.

Its got one of these:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a-soundblaster,368-7.html

Got it off ebay a long time ago. Never used the drive bay thing. You are welcome to it. There are also USB midi inputs if you want something simpler. $5 on amazon I think. I will let you know if we ever get my sisters to work in Sound Forge.

zourtney

Jan 10, 2012, 03:47 PM #54 Last Edit: Jan 10, 2012, 03:50 PM by zourtney
I think I need to learn the piano. Or at least a better working knowledge of keyboardry. I'm assuming all these programs let you edit individual notes played through MIDI. I hope so, because my timing stinks.