• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 02:18 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Linux comics (and others): Ideas

Started by Nick, Oct 18, 2009, 08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

A linux comic with a hero called: helpd. If you don't know why thats funny, its ok.

zourtney

It makes me smile. Linux needs more comic relief!

Nick

Here is my rough sketch of the idea....

zourtney

I got this "helpd" hero stuck in my head last night when I was trying to sleep. I'll try to sketch up what I was thinking some time today or tomorrow, although it might have only been funny at 11:30pm.

Nick

I was originally thinking of a single frame just like above and moving on (but better done) but he could be a recurring character.

zourtney

My idea was mostly revolving around this premise (knock it if you want):
1. Guy in trouble; people calling for help
2. Enter hero, helpd; assesses the situation and show a though cloud of ASCII giberish or command line gibberish
3. Guy saved; show text "man helpd!"

get it? Man? Ok, well it seemed funny at eleven thirty. Do as you wish, he is your superhero :)

Nick

NO! That will invoke the nearly incomprehensible MAN file for helpd! Bringing helpd to his knees giving seeming detailed instructions for getting help, but upon hearing this you just get a sense that there is something missing that you were just expected to know from the beginning, and still didn't tell you where to look for a log file.

Hmmm I see a rough outline of helpd.conf, Colonel Panic (or would it be Kernel), the mighty Cron: doer of things in time, the secret society of SUDO (members being knows as SUDOers) and so much more.

zourtney

zourtney

helpd needs helped. It wouldn't be technically difficult to set up a comic strip gallery. It would, however, be a bit more challenging in the artistic arena.

Nick

Yes to both of those. I have spurts of creative inspiration followed by dark apathy. The apathy seems longer and more focused then the creative periods. Coffee after 8:00 seems to help with the creative feelings though. Not that I am particularly productive at that time of day, but whatever.