• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 06:47 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

S-10 Blazer

Started by Nick, Dec 03, 2009, 09:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

Yesterday, Nick and I worked on the Blazer for a bit. Its driver-side blinkers seem to have both burned out, possibly due to a short..? We replaced both bulbs and it is back in working order. For now.

I'm sure Nick can explain better what was going on. And about the goo!

Nick

Yeah... there was goo. It was some bulb grease or something that had turned to more of a flaky yuck. Like extra thick pimple-goo, all cheesy and gross.  But now I can blink! Don't really know what was wrong, but the front bulb did not have the bulb on it when I pulled it out of the housing. It was just gone and the insides looked all melted. So perhaps the bulb broke and it shorted out. The thing has been down a few bumpy roads in its time, so its not unreasonable for it to have cracked under the jarring and bouncing.

Nick

I might be betting a donor vehicle for the blazer soon. Its a red 86 blazer with a bad tranny that we want the engine out of... but its interior and body and much nicer the the blazer I haves interior. So perhaps a swap and swap is in order.

zourtney

Who wants the engine from it? TheBlazer doesn't need a nice interior (for the times I happen to be in it), but it'd be fun to do something to/with the Hobomobile.

Nick

The engine in the red truck (S-10) threw a rod or something and is supposedly not worth rebuilding (some mechanic people said they don't last long after being rebuilt. For some reason all the aftermarket rebuild kits suck or something.)

The new vehicle has a headliner (no more mold and condensation), windows that work (rather then get stuck) and possibly better suspension. I rather like the colors on the Hobomobile, but the difficulty of moving all the working parts on the new truck over to the brokenish rig might be more work then moving the working engine to the new truck.

How hard is it to change a windshield? I would hate to leave one without a windshield... that would kill allot of any (little) resale value they had. But moving the headliner over and some of the dash stuff over would be easy.

Nick

So we bought the red blazer. It is so red that I am not even going to think of trading mine for it. I think I will take its radiator and head liner though...

zourtney

How red?!!!1 pix yo!!!1

Nick

Man it is soooooo red. You don't even.

Yeah... Pics soon. It was dark last night when I saw it and the guy at the transmission shop wanted us to leave so he could go home. Perhaps there will be pics tomorrow.

On another note, if anyone wants to help swap an engine....  that's what I will be doing this weekend.

zourtney

I have a Sunday and a yard. Also at least 10 frozen burritos!

Nick

Probably going to use my grandmas garage again for this. Your welcome to bring some burritos though :)

zourtney

I'm not really sure why I said I have a yard. I don't have a yard. That's what I get for posting while at work.  ???

Nick

This is not exactly blazer related (other then there will be some canibalising from the donor truck)

Here are some pics from the on-going engine swap.

zourtney

Nice. It looks like I missed out on a bit of greasy fun. How does it compare to Blazer-Blue (Aka "Hobomobile")? It looks like it has an in-tact windshield...which kind of puts it a step ahead.

Nick

The Jimmy smells strongly of cigarettes, has a mildly wrecked interior and no lock on the tail gate. The windshield also has a big crack running though it. Nothing as bad as  the crazy spider web the ol' Hobo has, but one that makes it unusable (I don't think it would survive being removed)

It does have a good head liner.  And the carpet is nice compared to the blazers. But I have no idea how to remove the carpet. I would probably be better trying to clean the sticky, tar-like gunk out of the blazers carpet.

So I will be stealing the headliner and the radiator... and perhaps some controls off the dash if they are compatible. Having headlights are are easy to turn on wold be awesome, but I don't know if the plug is the same yet.

Also, the grill on it is nice. And I kinda killed the old the blazer used to have in a misguided attempt to but a brush guard on it. So that will probably be getting cannibalized as well. 

We are not yet done with the S-10 revival. The engine came out of the S-10 last night. But GM, in their incomprehensible way of designing things, make it impossible to get the engine out without removing either the front differential/transfer case or dropping the transmission. The problem is that the engine needs to slide forward to get the spline out of it from the transmission. But the oil pan has a huge well in it that stick way down. You can't get the oil pan off because of the same reason. Making the engine bay 4" longer would have solved these problems and make removing the engine into an afternoon task rather then a day and a half headache.
Grrrr.

Nick