• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 08:27 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Dude, we should go hiking

Started by zourtney, Feb 22, 2010, 07:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Yes we would love to!  Wouldn't you both miss being close to your relatives? Being out if state?

zourtney

So true, so true. And the campcamp, the hikes, the woods, the goods, and all that other good stuff. It's not a for-sure thing yet, but it could definitely happen.

Brad

Went to Ankeny Wildlife Refuge today. It was nice, only two miles first one is on a boardwalk over an ash forest (very swampy and wet) second was through a field and totally out in the sun (very hot and muggy). I really want to go back during the rainy season as the whole place fills up with water and there are many varieties of birds/animals.

I keep trying to get Nick to go hiking but he always has excuses like "I'm going deep-sea fishing" or "I'm in eastern Oregon."

zourtney

That sounds like fun! If hot and muggy swampforests are your thing, I've got a few places for you. Come try them out!

Eastern Oregon? Posh.  :P

Nick

The swamp-forrest; All the better to swampdive with.

zourtney

I went for a walk in a very domesticated park today. It had a "stream" of mostly stagnant water running through it.

As far a swamp-diving temptations go, this was utterly resistible. I stayed dry (save for sweat and general humidity).

zourtney

I went for a hike today! I trekked through the Pine Log State Forest, about 35 minutes north of where I live. This is all part of the Florida Trail, which I'd like to explore more more. Today, I stopped at two different trailheads, a few miles apart from each other.

It was pleasantly quiet, as I didn't see a single person on the trails...which probably means they're not keen on getting caught (so predictably) in an afternoon downpour. My only complaint is that some tick thing rode home on my leg. Gross.

And on that note, here's a few highlights (let me know if the images aren't working)

Nick

Awesome! You look happily miserable in that last pic :)

zourtney

Ha! Yes, that's a good way to describe it. For a few minutes, I was wringing out my shirt as I was walking along. With that, fast-drying Vegas shorts, and 90 degree air, I was mostly dry-ish by the time I got back to the car. Minus sweat and sopping wet shoes.

Nick

The Bone-saw shorts? :)  Or did those come from some other trip... my memories need organizing.

zourtney

LOL yes!! I had forgotten about that. I was even playing with the string in the pocket, trying to remember what silliness was attached there. Definitely the bone saw :)

Cody

Haha! I remember the 'bone saw!' It seems so hilarious in my mind, at least.
"Stop whining. Before you really get me irritated."
   --Boba Fett